If you have obtained a bachelors degree and passed the required examinations to begin teaching, you may be beginning to explore options for expanding your teaching opportunities and earning a greater income. Getting a secondary education masters degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
If your goal is to enter the administrative side of education, a secondary education graduate program that focuses on supervisory and administrative tasks in a school will be more beneficial and it will be to your advantage to pursue this specialization in your program. On the other hand, if you want to teach in secondary schools, then you will need to pursue a teaching specialization in your masters program. It is important to have a clear idea of your ultimate goals and objectives for your career before you commit to a program so that you will be able to take advantage of the opportunities offered upon completion. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. This page provides more detail about the programs and where you can take them.
What do the programs involve?
Requirements For Program Participation:
The requirements to participate in a masters program in teaching are normally more structured than for other degree programs. This is primarily due to the fact that a teacher will usually have a single subject credential when they begin teaching and will normally be inclined to move towards a masters in this subject area. With their masters completed, secondary education teachers are able to teach grades 7 through 12 or qualify for supervisory or administrative positions in education.
It is important to note that these programs are designed with two prongs. One for teachers who want to teach in secondary schools and the other for teachers that want to enter the administrative side of education. Depending on what your ultimate goals are for your career, you will want to discuss how to achieve your objectives with an individual who is knowledgeable about the best route to take to reach your ultimate goal most effectively.
What To Expect From The Program:
The Masters programs are much more intense than the overview or basic courses taken in a bachelors. These programs include critical discussions on readings and applied classroom learning practicum. The program covers classroom management skills and includes extensive reading material. The history and theory of curriculum in K-12 is covered so that you have a complete grasp of learning concepts and teaching modalities for your specialty.
Completing The Program:
After completing the 4-year bachelors program, this program will take an additional 1-2 years. In most cases, individuals getting their degree are working as full-time teachers and take longer to complete the program so that they can accommodate their work schedule. Most of these programs are flexible and take into account the fact that the students participating are working teachers.
The length of time for completion may also vary, depending on the subject area that you have chosen. The program you select will require a lot of field work and analytic study will often require more of an investment of time than one that will be completed through traditional methods of campus study.
What are the prospects with a secondary education masters?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master of Arts in Education - Educational Technology
- Master of Arts in Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- MS - Integrative Studies
- MS - K-12 Studies in Education
- MS - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- And more...
- Masters of Education - Administration and Supervision
- Master of Education
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction - Christian School
- Master of Education in Leadership in Mathematics Education
- Instructional Design & Technology
NU has been educating leaders since 1934 at our campus near Seattle. Over the years, we've seen the improbable made possible. If you have a dream, we can help make it possible.
- Master's in Education
- Master in Ministry
- Master of Arts in TESOL