With an elementary education PhD you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator.
Elementary education, which usually incorporates at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US, is changing. Recently, schools have been trialling various arrangements which break from the one-teacher, one-class mould. So a leader in elementary education needs an understanding of change, as well as educational theory and knowledge of best practice. A PhD in elementary education provides the theory, research, and practice for teachers and educational administrators who wish to enter leadership positions in this sector of education.
This page provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, career prospects, and more.
What do the programs cover?
Elementary education PhD programs may include taught courses in pedagogy in chosen core subject areas (mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies), curriculum development, classroom management, assessment, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, leading innovation, human development and educational psychology, and research methodology. In addition, students must prepare and defend a thesis based on original research.
As with any other online PhD education program, there may be some residential attendance required.
What are the career prospects with an elementary education Phd?
Education is one of the largest industries and there are many elementary education career options. Elementary education usually incorporate at least the first five grades of compulsory education in the US. Teaching tends to focus on developing basic reading, writing, mathematics, and social skills.
As a PhD elementary education graduate you can seek a career as a teacher, curriculum developer, education program director or other senior administrator in elementary or early childhood learning environments. In addition, it is possible to find teaching positions in elementary education in a college or university, but the competition is tough.
List of schools and programs
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ed.S. in Early Childhood - General Program
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) - Early Childhood Education
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Early Childhood and Primary Education
- And more...
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Education in Ed. Leadership/Educational Technology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Curriculum & Instruction (EdD) (Online)
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- EdS - Personalized and Competency Based Instruction
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- EdD - Teacher Leader in K-12 Studies
- And more...
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning