An education management PhD is designed for teachers or school administrators who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college.
Education management is concerned with allocating human, physical, financial and other resources in a school or college. Management is sometimes confused with leadership – but they are different. However, management is closely linked to leadership, which is about persuading people and allocating resources to achieve strategic results.
This page provides information on what is studied in these doctoral programs, where you can study them on campus or by online and distance learning, what the career prospects are, and more. Before taking a PhD you will need to have completed a relevant education masters.
What do the programs cover?
Education management doctorates (and variants such as a PhD in community college leadership) provide the expertise needed and enhance your career potential in school and college management. They are designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues. Programs will probably include some taught courses from a relevant masters programs to cover these topics.
Education management doctorates will also include a thesis in which you can choose a theme or topic that suits your career or interests. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects with an education management PhD?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates with a PhD in education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position.
List of schools and programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Community College Leadership
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- PhD - Leadership in Educational Administration
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
- Degree programs and specialized concentrations based on the current and expected demand for professionals in a broad range of disciplines.
- Dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.
- A growing network of established professionals, motivated career switchers and young aspiring professionals.
- The place to begin personal and professional achievement.
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Grow, lead, succeed - with an online graduate degree
Keiser University Graduate School provides student-centered, quality career education that enables you to make an immediate contribution to your profession. For over 35 years, Keiser University's commitment to excellence has led to success for our graduates. Our unique combination of a strong curriculum rich in relevant courses for today’s workforce and our students-first approach provides an outstanding academic experience. Become part of a caring, learning environment, whether online or on campus, led by experienced faculty who bring you real-world challenges and solutions.
- Educational Leadership, PhD (Online)