An education management PhD is designed for teachers or school administrators who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college.
Education management is concerned with allocating human, physical, financial and other resources in a school or college. Management is sometimes confused with leadership – but they are different. However, management is closely linked to leadership, which is about persuading people and allocating resources to achieve strategic results.
This page provides information on what is studied in these doctoral programs, where you can study them on campus or by online and distance learning, what the career prospects are, and more. Before taking a PhD you will need to have completed a relevant education masters.
What do the programs cover?
Education management doctorates (and variants such as a PhD in community college leadership) provide the expertise needed and enhance your career potential in school and college management. They are designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues. Programs will probably include some taught courses from a relevant masters programs to cover these topics.
Education management doctorates will also include a thesis in which you can choose a theme or topic that suits your career or interests. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects with an education management PhD?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates with a PhD in education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position.
List of schools and programs
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Community College Leadership
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- PhD - Leadership in Educational Administration
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Partnerships with thousands of companies
- Alliances with many national industry associations
- Personalized career guidance
- Job market research tools to help you explore your career of interest
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning