Do you want to be a teacher or an administrator in an elementary or pre-school learning environment? Or perhaps an early childhood education curriculum developer, or education program director? If so, you probably need to get an early childhood education masters.
Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration related to children from birth to age eight. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page is for those wanting to know more about early childhood education degrees at masters level. It provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, the career prospects, and more. You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What does the masters cover?
An early childhood education masters degree typically includes: child growth and development, child psychology, instructional and teaching methods for young children, elementary instruction methods, the design of primary-school curricula, classroom management, family engagement, language acquisition, and literacy education. But the actual curriculum will vary from institution to institution. For example, some might include the delivery of differentiated instruction, collaboration with parents and communities, how diversity affects development and learning in early childhood, the impact of living in poverty and the effects of stress, violence, and trauma. Some Masters programs require you to hold a teaching certificate.
What are the career prospects with an early childhood education masters?
Education is one of the largest industries and online early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, an early childhood education masters or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary education teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
- B.S. in Instructional Design and Technology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- Now school comes to you, making earning your college degree a real possibility.
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University.
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree you've always wanted.
- Knowledge is everywhere, for everyone.
- AA/Early Childhood Education
- MA/Education - Child Development
- MA/Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- MS - Early Childhood Education
- PhD - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- MS - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- And more...
- Partnerships with thousands of companies
- Alliances with many national industry associations
- Personalized career guidance
- Job market research tools to help you explore your career of interest
- B.S. in Education / Elementary Education
- M.A. in Education/Elementary Teacher Education
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Psychology - Child Development
- Masters of Education - Administration and Supervision
- Master of Education